Scientific-Research and Design-Engineering Departments of the Institute
Metallurgy / Laboratory of Hydrometallurgy
- Viktor Klimenko, Chief of the Laboratory
- Andrey Teut, lead researcher, Cand.Sc.
- Gennady Shadrin, senior researcher, Cand.Sc.
- Denis Kuimov, senior researcher
The major fields of activity of the laboratory are development and implementation of the new, and improvement of the existing methods of zinc-bearing and complex raw materials processing, including:
- Roasting of zinc and bulk complex concentrates;
- Leaching of zinc and associate non-ferrous metals;
- Preparation of zinc-bearing solutions (hydrometallurgical, cementation cleaning and other types of cleaning) for zinc electrolysis;
- Zinc electrolysis and its remelting with production of pig metal and various alloys on its basis;
- Improvement of zinc electrolysis process on the basis of development and implementation of new lead anodes with new composition and manufacturing technology;
- Processing of various off-grade raw materials and industrial wastes containing nonferrous metals with the application of Waelz process;
- Processing of zinc and lead industrial products with the extraction of valuable components into commercial products;
- Treatment of the industrial waste waters and application of closed water circulation systems;
- Development of the process procedures for designing of various technological processes;
- Processing of resistant gold-bearing raw materials using electro-chemical methods.
The laboratory is equipped with:
- Muffle electric furnace SNOL 7.2/1100;
- Low-temperature laboratory electric furnace SNOL 24/200;
- Laboratory Waelz kiln;
- Fluid bed furnace;
- Electric pit-type heating furnace;
- Electro-thermal two-electrode electric furnace 100 kW;
- Autoclave V = 5l;
- Pilot-plant unit for electrochemical hydrochlorination of gold-bearing mineral raw materials;
- Ozonizer Л-7;
- Drier for sample preparation;
- Cup vibrating grinding mill;
- Vibrating screen ‘Rotap’;
- Laboratory flotation machines (set 0.5-3 l);
- Laboratory ball mill ‘Rolgang’;
- Disc-type nodulizer.
Laboratory specialists have created and implemented at Ust-Kamenogorsk and Ridder metallurgical plants of “Kazzinc” Ltd., in “Kazakhmys” Ltd, Almalyk zinc plant the following developments:
- Technology for processing of low grade zinc concentrates on the basis of application of autoclaving for Balkhah zinc plant with the capacity of 100 000 tons of zinc per year;
- Improved flow sheet for processing of zinc-bearing oxides;
- One-stage leaching of zinc cinder with back-washing of zinc residues;
- Three-stage scheme of zinc solution cement cleaning;
- Processing of oxidized zinc-bearing ores by Waelz process;
- Technology of Waelz processing for lead melting slag and other production wastes;
- Processing of slimes from chemical fiber production enterprises;
- Hydrometallurgical processing of zinc residues with the extraction of rare metals;
- Upgraded fluid-bed furnace for zinc concentrates (including low-grade concentrates ) roasting;
- Technology to produce various zinc-based alloys;
- Technology for gold recovery from resistant raw materials by electrochemical hydrochlorination.
- Technology for gold recovery from resistant raw materials by collector electric smelting method;
- Technology of electrolytic manganese recovery from dradge and concentrates.
Tel. (7232) 751491, 503448
All the developments are protected by the patents of the Republic of Kazakhstan.